Junior Officer Selection Process
MEMORANDUM FOR STA Company Commanders, Staff and ML 3 Juniors
SUBJECT: Junior Officer Candidate Application and Evaluation Program, SY 2016-2017
1. The milestones for becoming commissioned through the Junior Officer Candidate application and evaluation program are as follows:
- 14-16 Dec 2016: Briefing about JO application to ML 3 Juniors. (Application below and in Schoology)
- 13 Jan 2017: Deadline for submission of completed application form and sign-up for company level board interview appointments. Complete JO application is due no later than 1530 on 13 January 2017.
- 27 Jan — 3 Mar 2017: Company evaluation board (CO, XO; designated PL is the alternate member) interview each applicant from that company and submit a recommendation listing for all candidates, in order of merit.
- 9 Mar — 31 Mar 2017: Battalion and Brigade screening boards review the company board results and candidate records. Initial screening is done by three boards, BLUE: A, B, C CO’s with a C/LTC as president, Gold: D, E, F CO with a C/LTC as president and WHITE: HG, MB CO’s with a C/LTC as president. The three boards each develop an Order of Merit List (OML) from the candidates in their unit. The Brigade Board will further review the Battalion board results for the top twenty cadets. Top 20 will be announced at the end of the closing remarks for BFI on April 6, 2017.
- 23 April 2017: Super Sunday takes place 0730-1300.
- 23 April 2017: The Brigade Commander convenes an officer selection board that conducts a personal interview and evaluation of the first twenty candidates on the Order of Merit List. The board submits a list of 14 candidates who are recommended for commissioning as officers. Top 14 JO’s will be announced at the change of command ceremony. Date TBD.
JO’s will run the Cadet Corps from the change of command ceremony through the end of the year. These cadets will conduct the Class of 2018 Cadet Leaders Workshop scheduled for August 2017, to evaluate and round out probationary promotions and duty assignments for Seniors, SY 2017 - 2018.
2. This time line allows for very little flexibility, commanders must ensure that all deadlines are met.
Michael P. DePuglio
LTC, U.S. Army (Retired)
Commandant of Cadets