Preparing for the Future
Our academic requirements focus on your son's intellectual, spiritual, and leadership development.
Students must successfully complete a minimum of the following academic courses, in ninth through twelfth grade, for graduation:
- English - 4 years
- Fine Arts - 1/2 year
- Health - 1/2 year
- Leadership - 4 years (or each year at Saint Thomas Academy)
- Mathematics * - 3 years
- Physical Education - 2 years
- Science (Laboratory) * - 3 years (Biology & Chemistry required)
- Social Studies - 3 years
- Theology - 4 years (or each year at Saint Thomas Academy)
- World Language * - Completion of 3rd level in high school
* Most selective colleges expect four years of math, science and world language if available in high school.
Other Academic Requirements include:
- Write and deliver a senior speech to the student body and school community at Formation.
- One hundred hours of community service moderated by the STA service-learning program.
- As a college preparatory school, Saint Thomas Academy values post-secondary education. As such, all seniors are required to complete at least one application to a four-year college. While STA recognizes that some students may choose to take a gap year for service, work, travel or athletic opportunities, it is important for each student to plan, prepare and set goals for his short and long-term future. College counseling is part of each cadets’ experience and the college counseling staff will assist cadets in planning their individual post-secondary needs.