Welcome to College Counseling
The mission of our department is to facilitate the college search and application process for our students. The process begins in ninth and tenth grade, which will intensify in 11th, and 12th grades. It is our goal to provide each student and his parents with the information, advice, and support needed to make good choices about where to apply and enroll for college.
These classes are free of charge and will take place during flex time - 11:50 a.m.-12:50 p.m.
ACT prep classes during the school day
Each class will be capped at 22 students per section. Two sections are offered during each session.
The objective of the ACT prep classes is for students to gain an understanding of test strategies, tips for content areas of reading, natural science and frequently tested principles of math and grammar. Students that choose to register will be expected to complete all homework and commitment requirements.
Prep for the April ACT: Classes are 3/6, 3/9, 3/12, 3/19, 3/22, 4/6, 4/10, 4/12
Prep for the June ACT: Classes are 5/8, 5/10, 5/14, 5/18, 5/21, 5/25, 5/30
Full-length practice exams and review
Ron Michalak, the founder of Breakaway Test Prep, will provide opportunities for students to take and review the ACT and PSAT. The benefits of taking a practice tests are manifold, including establishing a baseline score against which to measure the impact of test prep; giving the student "test situation" experience so they can understand and learn how to manage the pressure of the test; and helping students build their stamina so that they can power through a 3-1/2 hour test. The cost for the first practice is free, each additional test and review session is $50.
- ACT full Practice exam: Monday, April 23rd: 9:00-12:05
- ACT test review session: Saturday May 5th: 9:00-12:00
Registration for the Practice tests:
Free Test Prep for Students on Naviance:
Method Test Prep is a self-paced program that offers a total of 25 hours of preparation for each the ACT and the SAT.
It includes evaluation tests, lessons/quizzes, vocabulary builder, and full length exams. Students can work on test prep at their own pace at a time that fits their busy schedules.
ACT Summer Test Prep
- Breakaway ACT Prep Courses at Saint Thomas Academy include the following:
- Comprehensive reviews of all frequently tested concepts in English, Math, Reading and Science.
- Critical test-taking and time management strategies.
- Practice materials comprised of current, real ACTs
- A proprietary and proven study guide
- Two full-length, proctored practice exams to help students measure their progress.
- Complete score reports and analysis to help identify strengths and weaknesses.