Pagers Reading Program
What is it?
Pagers is a program that supports the benefits of reading.
What is its purpose?
- To encourage independent reading as a pleasurable experience, a worthwhile endeavor, and a part of the Saint Thomas Academy culture;
- To build community with other students and with faculty and staff.
How does it work?
- Read one book a quarter;
- Participate all four quarters, or as you choose;
- Books can be purchased at a discount through the school, or they can be purchased independently, or borrowed from libraries;
- Books will be discussed at the end of each quarter during a B Day open period;
- Students meeting participation requirements will receive extra credit through their English classes.
What constitutes "meeting participation requirements"?
- Students must complete the entire book by the designated date;
- Students must attend the discussion group;
- Students should bring a copy of the book to the discussion;
- Students must pass a comprehension quiz;
- Students must participate in the discussions in a meaningful way to demonstrate to the moderator that he has actually read the book.
How do students participate?
- Sign up via the online form;
- Purchase books at a discounted rate in the Media Center or obtain independently (paper or electronic);
- Attend the small group discussion.