Social Studies at Saint Thomas Academy.
Our students experience the past and learn about the present in social studies classes. Courses focus on the importance of being a responsible, successful citizen in an ever-changing global society.
The Social Studies Department at Saint Thomas Academy designs its courses to provide a challenging learning environment that promotes academic excellence and recognizes the unique abilities of each student. The Social Studies Department expects each student to:
- Develop the ability to connect the past and the present by applying methods of historical research; use a variety of sources to demonstrate cause and affect relationships in history.
- Acquire geographical skills and understand and apply the main themes of geographic analysis.
- Acquire economic literacy and apply it to U.S. and world economic institutions in order to be an effective citizen and to enhance personal economic decision-making.
- Acquire political literacy in order to be able to participate effectively in the U.S. democratic process.
- Be able to evaluate controversial issues and apply this knowledge through debates and other methods of presentation (both written and verbal).
- Develop a multicultural awareness and sensitivity, recognizing that judgments about people of different cultures are usually shaped and influenced by the standards and values of the culture in which one lives.
- Develop the competency to acquire, organize, evaluate, and report information for the purposes of solving problems and clarifying issues.
- Geography and Civics- Grade Level 9, 1 Semester
- World History- Grade Level 10
- World History AP- Grade 10
- US History- Grade Level 11
- United States History AP- Grade Level 11
- Economics & Government- Grade 12
- Economics AP (Micro & Macro)- Grade 12
- Advanced Placement Microeconomics- Semester 1
- Advanced Placement Macroeconomics- Semester 2
- U.S. Government and Politics AP - Grade Level 12
- A History of Violence: U.S. – Latin American Relations – Grade 10-12
- Elective- Boxing, Race, and The United States- Grade Level 11-12
- Elective- Business Marketing and Entrepreneurship- Grade Level 11
- College Bound! – Grade 11
- Elective- Crime and Justice- Grade Level 12
- Elective- Personal Finance and Stock Market Investing- Grade Level 12
- Elective- Psychology- Grade Level 11-12