"The Hames Alumni Honors Award recognizes alumni who have exemplified the ideals of Saint Thomas Academy while distinguishing themselves in their communities. Honorees are chosen for their advancement of the goals of the Academy and enriching the lives of those around them through professional and civic leadership, intellectual and cultural pursuits, and human welfare activities."
2020 Hames Award REcipient Dr. Dennis Zachary '75
Dr. Zachary is a family practice doctor providing care to patients in all stages of life from delivering babies to nursing home care. Dr. Zachary is one of the few remaining doctors that will make house calls when the need arises.
Dr. Zachary was the winner of the 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award by the Iowa Academy of Family Physicians (IAFP).
The IAFP Lifetime Achievement Award, instituted in 2000, is given to one or more Academy members based on nomination by another member, both of whom are in good standing. The criteria includes the recipient being a member of the IAFP for at least ten years, involvement in significant community service and civic activities, a resident of Iowa, and a role model for family physicians, residents and/or students.
Dr. Zachary has practiced family medicine at Mercy for 22 years.
“I have never met someone more truly compassionate in life than him. He dedicates his life to serving his family, patients and the Lord,” said Amanda Parker, a referral specialist who works with Dr. Zachary at Family Medicine South. “He is here to take care of his patients and will go to any length to make sure they are taken care of the way they deserve. He is one of the very few family practice providers in the Mercy system to still do hospital rounds as well as nursing home rounds.”
He has been recognized by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) for his long-time commitment to improving the lives of central Iowa residents, and he was honored by the Iowa High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) in 2011 for contributing to the health and safety of the athletes after providing medical coverage for the state wrestling championships for more than a decade.
To instill and preserve pride in the rich tradition of Saint Thomas Academy by celebrating the outstanding athletic accomplishments or contributions to the athletic history and traditions of the Academy by alumni athletes, their coaches, directors, advisors and loyal supporters.
- Participation in athletics enhances the educational program in preparing students for future success.
- Involvement in athletics cultivates pride in Saint Thomas Academy and our community, nurtures respect for others and promotes cooperation and teamwork.
- Work ethic, skill, values and friendships attained through athletics are enduring and establish a life long bond with Saint Thomas Academy.
- Participants who have attained excellence by virtue of their involvement in athletics are deserving of recognition.
- The Athletic Hall of Fame seeks to instill Saint Thomas Academy alumni and students with pride in and awareness of the high level of excellence in competition of Saint Thomas Academy athletes, coaches and loyal supporters.
- Host an annual event for the purpose of recognizing and inducting nominees to the Saint Thomas Academy Athletic Hall of Fame.
- Establish an Athletic Hall of Fame site at Saint Thomas Academy that is designed with dignity and good taste and displays appropriate memorials and commemorations of inductees.Maintain a network of friends, acquaintances and supporters having in common the ideals and excellence, which the Saint Thomas Academy Athletic Hall of Fame represents.