"The Hames Alumni Honors Award recognizes alumni who have exemplified the ideals of Saint Thomas Academy while distinguishing themselves in their communities. Honorees are chosen for their advancement of the goals of the Academy and enriching the lives of those around them through professional and civic leadership, intellectual and cultural pursuits, and human welfare activities."
2019 Hames Award REcipient Dr. Joseph Hamel '39
"Well known and admired" is how the 1939 yearbook describes Dr Joseph Ignatius Hamel. Dr. Hamel is a retired OB-GYN and the recipient of the 2019 Hames Alumni Honors Award. After his time at STMA, Joseph studied at the College of St. Thomas, and later went on to earn his MD from Marquette University Medical School. Dr. Hamel received honors at both institutions. He served in the U.S. Air Force after his residency, and then entered private practice in Minneapolis, eventually starting his own firm, where he delivered over 10,000 babies. In His field his skills were well known and respected, so after his retirement from active practice, Dr. Hamel went on to teach as a clinical professor at the University of Minnesota. In addition to his medical practice, in 1975 Dr. Hamel helped build the Physicians Health Plan or what today is known as Medica. He and his wife of 66 years, Katherine Hamel, also gave considerable time to the church including providing marriage preparation for couples at their parish and volunteering their talents to aid seminarians and local religious orders. Dr. Hamel is the father of six children and his two sons, Joseph and Nicholas, graduated from the Academy respectively. Those that know Dr. Hamel note that he is humble in his service to God, his family, and his patients.
To instill and preserve pride in the rich tradition of Saint Thomas Academy by celebrating the outstanding athletic accomplishments or contributions to the athletic history and traditions of the Academy by alumni athletes, their coaches, directors, advisors and loyal supporters.
- Participation in athletics enhances the educational program in preparing students for future success.
- Involvement in athletics cultivates pride in Saint Thomas Academy and our community, nurtures respect for others and promotes cooperation and teamwork.
- Work ethic, skill, values and friendships attained through athletics are enduring and establish a life long bond with Saint Thomas Academy.
- Participants who have attained excellence by virtue of their involvement in athletics are deserving of recognition.
- The Athletic Hall of Fame seeks to instill Saint Thomas Academy alumni and students with pride in and awareness of the high level of excellence in competition of Saint Thomas Academy athletes, coaches and loyal supporters.
- Host an annual event for the purpose of recognizing and inducting nominees to the Saint Thomas Academy Athletic Hall of Fame.
- Establish an Athletic Hall of Fame site at Saint Thomas Academy that is designed with dignity and good taste and displays appropriate memorials and commemorations of inductees.Maintain a network of friends, acquaintances and supporters having in common the ideals and excellence, which the Saint Thomas Academy Athletic Hall of Fame represents.