U16 Hockey Season 2016-17
Junior Gold 16U Team Coaches:
Head Coach Bill McCarthy - email@example.com
Assistant Coach Robbie Jones
Welcome to the 2016-17 Junior Gold U16 hockey season. I am excited about my first year as coach of the team. It has been a whirlwind first few days. I would like to take this opportunity to both welcome you and thank you for the opportunity to help with the development of your sons.
My hockey background spans 5 decades and includes time as a player, 20+ years as a USA hockey referee, 15 years as a Minnesota High School Hockey coach and 10 years as a scout for the NHL Ottawa Senators.
A game schedule has been set, (see below) and a practice schedule is in the works. Finalizing practice times for the year will be set by the end of the week. Our first game is scheduled for Wednesday December 7 at Braemar arena vs Edina @ 6:40PM. We have two tournaments (Hudson, Buffalo) that will be added to the schedule.
Here are some particulars about the team.
- We need families to write two checks:
One for $1,000 for participation on the team. This check will be cashed and used for operations.
A second check for $350 is also required for uniform deposit. The $350 check will be kept and only cashed if the school uniforms are lost or damaged, or not returned at the end of the season. Once uniforms have been washed and turned in, the $350 check will be returned.
Both checks should be made out to STA.
Any financial challenges can be discussed with STA Athletic Director, Bob Slater. He can be reached at 651-683-1503.
- The U16 team is in need of a Team Manager. This is a volunteer position.
Steve Goldade has offered to provide information to anyone who is interested. He can also speak to what is involved with the position. Please let me know if you are available and interested. There is a mandatory Manager meeting scheduled for this coming Sunday, December 4, at the Rosemount Ice Arena at 7:00. The meeting will be held in the PDA room which is located behind the stands in the far corner (next to the scoreboard).
- Players will be issued practice socks and a practice sweater, 2 game uniforms and 1 pair of game socks. The uniforms must be returned at the end of the season.
- Communication will be done primarily through U16 team emails and/or the U16 page on cadets.com.
- Team apparel is available until Thursday December 1 (at 12:00 midnight,) through the website: http://www.isaksenpromotions.com/cadets/. Purchase of any or all items is not mandatory or required. The link is provided for your convenience.
- This season we have been asked to staff the concession area during Junior Gold Games. The plan is for the U16 parents to volunteer during U18 games. The parents of the U18 team are being asked to volunteer during our games. More news to follow.
- At this time, the team consists of 17 skaters and one goalie. There is a plan in place to assign a second goalie and a possibility that one skater may make a different decision about playing. Playing time is always a topic of discussion when talking with players (and parents.) Philosophically, my approach is fairly straight forward. I would like to play everyone, in all situations. My goal is for the players to have fun and learn a little about themselves, their character and play some good hockey along the way. Junior Gold hockey historically, has not always been looked at in the most favorable way. I am involved as a coach to help teach and learn about the game. The transfer of passion and knowledge about hockey to the players is a major focus. Questions about hockey i.e. playing time, certainly should be addressed by your son with me directly. Other questions, operation, information etc., can be sent my way through my email address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parents or players are responsible for their own travel to games and practices. I would like players in the arena 30 minutes prior to scheduled ice times for games and practices.
Thank you, once again for you and your son’s participation with this year’s U16 team.
2016-17 Schedule as of December 1, 2016
|Day||Date||Location / Time / Opponent|
|Wed||Dec. 7||U16 - AWAY - @ Edina - 6:40PM @ Braemar South|
|Sat||Dec. 10||U16 - Maple Grove @ STA 4PM|
|Tue||Dec. 13||U16 - Minnetonka Blue @ STA 8:00PM|
|Wed||Dec. 14||U16 - Centennial @ STA (played at Blaine Super Rink #8) 7:40PM|
|Sat||Dec. 17||U16 - AWAY - @ Minnetonka Black - 5:15PM @ Minnetonka Rk A|
|Sun||Dec. 18||U16 - AWAY @ Elk River - 12:15PM @ Elk River Barn|
|Thu||Dec. 22||U16 - AWAY @ Eagan - 6:30PM @ Eagan East|
|Tue||Dec. 27||U16 - Edgcumbe @ STA 3:20PM|
|Thu||Dec. 29||U16 - Wayzata @ STA 8:00PM|
|Tue||Jan. 3||U16 - Burnsville @ STA 6:20PM|
|Wed||Jan. 4||U16 - AWAY - @ Prior Lake - 7:20PM - Dakota Rk. 1|
|Sat||Jan. 7||U16 - Elk River @ STA 4:40PM|
|Mon||Jan. 9||U16 - AWAY - @ Stillwater - 5:45PM @ St. Croix Croix South Rink|
|Sat||Jan. 14||U16 - AWAY - @ Eden Prairie - 12Noon @ Eden Prairie Rink 1|
|Thu||Jan. 19||U16 - AWAY - @ Maple Grove - 8:40PM @ Osseo West|
|Jan. 20-22||Hudson Tournament|
|Wed||Jan. 25||U16 - Hastings @ STA 8:00PM|
|Jan. 28-31||Buffalo Tournament|
|Sat||Feb. 4||U16 - Eden Prairie @ STA 6:50PM|
|Tue||Feb. 7||U16 - Prior Lake @ STA 8:00PM|
|Thu||Feb. 9||U16 - AWAY - @ Blaine - 8:00PM @ Blaine Super Rink #7|
|Sat||Feb. 11||U16 - AWAY @ Centennial Black - 7:50PM @ Blaine Super Rink #8|
|Tue||Feb. 14||U16 - AWAY @ Wayzata - 8:45PM @ Plymouth Ice Center Rink A|
|Wed||Feb. 15||U16 - Lakeville @ STA 8:30PM (Played @ Ames 2 (Lakeville))|
|Fri||Feb. 17||U16 - AWAY - @ St. Mary's Point - 7:45PM @ St. Mary's Point|
|Tue||Feb. 21||U16 - Eagan @ STA 6:20PM|