This class is intended for current Saint Thomas Academy students who have completed Linear Algebra or students new to Saint Thomas Academy who have not had a complete Algebra I course. Students who have completed the Quadratics Algebra course or another Algebra I course and wish to further strengthen skills may enroll with teacher approval.
This course will focus on the second half of an Algebra I course covering the topics of Exponents and Exponential Functions, Polynomials and Factoring, Quadratic Functions and Equations, and Radical Expressions and Equations. Students are required to have a C or better average in this course to be considered for placement into a Saint Thomas Academy Geometry course in the fall.
Any student who earns an B or better will enter the class in the fall that their current teacher recommends for them (honors or regular). Any student who earns a C will pass the class but will only be placed into regular Geometry (not honors) regardless of previous teacher recommendation.
Each day you are expected to have the following materials with you:
pencils (at least 2)
a pen (for correcting)
covered Algebra I book (will be handed out on the first day)
plenty of paper in a 3-ring binder
The student’s grade will be determined as follows.
Daily Homework: 20%
Weekly quiz: 30%
Weekly test: 50%
- You can expect to have homework every day in this class.
- All homework must be completed in pencil and on a separate sheet of paper.
- Each day you will be correcting your homework at the beginning of class. At this time, make any corrections in pen and mark the number wrong at the top of the page. This will help me see where you are having difficulty, and it will help you know what areas to study when a test is approaching.
- Homework is due at the beginning of the class the day after it is assigned
- If you are sick, I will expect your homework turned in the day you get back. I also will expect that you will have attempted to move on and keep up with the material.
- Homework must be neat and have the proper headings. I will not accept homework that is messy or that does not identify the assignment.
Weekly quiz (30%)
You will have a quiz every Wednesday covering the material from Monday and Tuesday. Past lessons may also be included in the quiz. The quiz will be at the beginning of class. Each quiz will take 30 minutes or less. Following the quiz, there will be another lesson.
Weekly test (50%)
You will have a test every Friday (and on July 3rd). No new lesson will be taught on test day. In class before the test, you will have the opportunity to ask questions. You will have no more than 30 minutes to ask questions and review. You will be expected to study for the test on your own and come to class with questions.
This class offering is contingent on adequate enrollment.
Please note that Algebra I does include everything the regular Quadratics course covers in a full academic year. We are completing it in 3 ½ weeks. This will be a fast-paced course and students are expected to attend every class and be on time. Students also must complete all assigned work. No make-up days will be offered.
Dates and Times
Dates: June 10 – July 2 (Monday – Friday)
NOTE: On July 2nd, the class will meet from 9:00-10:30 only.
Times: 9:00 – 12:00 Monday-Thursday; 9:00-10:30 Friday.
Tutoring: Tutoring will be available from 8:30- 8:55 and 12:05-12:30 Monday-Thursday.
On Friday, tutoring will be available 8:30-8:55 and 10:35-11:00.
You are expected to attend every class